Bone marrow transplant is a surgical procedure to replace the damaged or destroyed bone marrow with healthy bone marrow stem cells. Bone marrow is a soft fatty tissue inside the bones and stem cells are immature cells in bone marrow that give rise to all types of blood cells.
Bone Marrow Transplant is done when other treatments are not working or there is higher risk of condition returning without the transplant. The ideal candidates for bone marrow transplant are those who are in otherwise good health and have stem cells available from a sibling, or another family member, with the same tissue type.
Conditions in which bone marrow transplant is recommended:
Bone Marrow transplant is recommended in conditions such as:
- Cancers such as leukemia, lymphoma or multiple myeloma
- Disease affecting production of bone marrow cells, such as:
- Aplastic anaemia
- Sickle cell anaemia
- Congenital neutropenia
- Severe immunodeficiency syndromes
Types of Bone Marrow transplants:
- Autologous transplant — Also known as “rescue” transplant, autologous transplant procedure entails removing stem cells and storing them in a freezer (cryopreservation) before exposing the patient to chemotherapy or radiation treatment. After high dose chemotherapy, stem cells are put back in the body to add to normal blood cells.
- Allogenic bone transplant — “Allo” means other. In this procedure, stem cells are removed from the donor. The donor must at least partly match with the patient genetically. For allogenic bone transplant, special blood tests are done to find a good match for the patient. Sometimes parents, children and other relatives are found as good matches.
- Umbilical cord transplant — In Umbilical cord transplant procedure, stem cells are removed from a newborn baby’s umbilical cord after birth. Stem cells are stored until they are needed for the transplant.
Best hospitals in India offering bone marrow transplant surgery
Bone Marrow transplant surgery in India is sought by individuals who either have lack of advanced techniques of bone marrow transplant surgery in their own country or who cannot afford the surgery in their home country. India is considered as one of the most favorable destinations offering highly advanced techniques of bone marrow transplant surgery. Some of the best hospitals in India are equipped with latest technology and instruments for bone marrow transplant surgery.
The advantages of undergoing bone marrow transplant surgery are many. To name a few — the highly advanced techniques of bone marrow transplant in India, best of doctors, excellent health care facilities, English speaking hospital staff and recuperation at peaceful locations in India.
IndiCure is the leading name for providing even the most complex bone marrow transplant surgery at best hospitals in India. For more information about Bone Marrow transplant surgery in India, visit - http://www.indicure.com/organ_transplant/bone_marrow_transplant.htm or http://indicure.com.ng/organ_transplant/bone_marrow_transplant_in_india.htm or write to [email protected] or call us at - +919818462127 or +919320036777.